I just thought there was something I'd best clear up about my feelings towards
Doctor Who 28x10 - I "get" it!
There is a lie being propagated by people who (for reasons best known to themselves) actually liked the worst 45 mins of TV ever.
They would like you to believe that people who hate the episode either:
a) have a ridgedly defined idea of what Doctor who should be (i.e. "The Doctor and his companion show up, trouble is afoot, they get involved and save the day, then de-materialize off in the TARDIS ready to do it all again next week") and cannot stand that this episode was structured differently.
or
b) They don't "Get" it (the usual reason given for this is that they don't understand the way SF fandom works, and didn't see LINDA as a representation of same.
they for some reason think that these are the only 2 possible reasons not to love "Love and Monsters".
First of all let me say that
a) I love format busting episodes - The Zeppo was one of my favorite Buffy episodes, and I'm one of the few people who thought the X-Files / COPS crossover was fantastic - Hell, I even have time for that episode of The Prisoner that's set in the wild west!
b) I "get" fandom, I have been involved in fandom, I have attended conventions and pub meets, and had parties where the entire guest list was culled from the membership of an SF society.
I therefore submit the following reasons not to like love and monsters:
c) "Tastes like Chicken"
d) Mention of the slitheen (although, twin planets "Raxacoricofallapatorius and Klom" raised a smile and is, as someone over at "Behind the Sofa" has already pointed out, very Douglas Adams).
e) The scooby-doo chase scene with the red - not blue - bucket. (again, yes I "get" it - this is what Elton remembered, rather than what necessarily happened - but that doesn't suddenly make it entertaining - explaining WHY something was shit, doesn't stop it being shit).
f) The Doctor categorically WOULD NOT resurrect someone as a Paving Slab with a face! No one in their right mind would condemn someone to such an existence.
g) No matter how "peaceful" it is, no one would be happy as a paving slab with a face!
h) While we're on the subject, how does a paving slab with a face even WORK? - what about nutrition - what about respiration, and more to the point...
I) ... What happens when the police, realizing that Elton is the common factor in the 4 missing persons cases they are investigating, search his flat and find the fucking thing!
j) Peter Kay.
okay I'll elaborate on j) - As Victor, he was like something straight from "The League of Gentlemen" (which I love by the way, but not mixed into other shows) and as the Absorbaloff he was - well, lets be honest, he was Peter Kay.
so there - that's 10 reasons to hate it..
Tuesday, June 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment